Tuesday, March 18, 2008

"Stop Trying to Poison Me!"



Does the above food look like poison to you? Well, it obviously does to some!

In an effort to cheer up my parents, Kade and I made dinner for them last night.

"What are you making," Dad said with a turned up nose, as he walked in the door.

"It's a surprise," I said. Knowing all too much that the response would illicit nervousness.

Cue Dad, pacing around the kitchen and dining room, trying to get a glimpse of dinner. It's true, I know how to push Dad's buttons ever so slightly.

I couldn't help myself, so as we set down to the table, I added this disclaimer:

"These are all new recipes, so it's not my fault if it doesn't taste good."

Then came the line:

"Stop trying to poison me!" Dad cried out half joking, half wishing that meatloaf and mashed potatoes were sitting in front of him. Ah, the comfort of meatloaf and potatoes.

Well, what could be more comforting than:

Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeno Thingies

Pork Chops
Macaroni and Cheese
Green Peas
Apple Dumplings

HELLO! Never mind that the pork chops were covered in a Chipotle-Orange-Maple glaze, and the mac and cheese was covered in a (foreign) crust. But the peas were nothing but peas - I swear!

Dad maneuvered through dinner ever so cautiously - making sure he didn't eat anything "icky."

Don't worry though - my plan had a happy ending. I knew dessert would make everything all better. And OH MY SIN ON A FORK - IT DID! Apple Dumplings (from the Pioneer Woman) did the trick. Dad was in an Apple Dumpling coma - and everything was right in the world. (I'll post the recipe tomorrow - because you must all experience the euphoria one forkful delivers. Or just click on the link above.)

Fast forward to today when Dad was raving about dinner last night to a co-worker. Seems like poison tastes good every once in a while.

In credit to my father and Kade, they are my guinea pigs whenever I want to try out a new recipe. They are GREAT sports when the dish doesn't turn out exactly the way the picture looks. (Chicken Fried Steak anyone?!!)

But I heard your gentle plea, Dad. I did. So guess what's for dinner next, Dad?!

Good old meatloaf and mashed potatoes.

No comments: