Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day and the B.A.G.

What's the B.A.G. you ask? Well, read away and you'll find out.

Since Kade and I actually took our "vacation" to the cabin last week, we decided it best to stay home and get some work done this 3-day weekend. I love 3-day weekends. Even though I love Sundays, you can't get ANYTHING done. You know - the observing the Sabbath Day thing. Whatever...at least I get to take a nap.

So Kade worked his butt off today. I had a couple of things on my to-do list as well, but we'll get to that in a minute.

When we bought our house last year, the outside looked like CACA. Yes, poop. The grass was all burnt, and VERY sparse in the back and full of stickers. Yes, the kind of stickers you track into the house and then step on with bare feet, and say "$#*!" Ouch. SO - Kade has worked his cute-little butt off to make the lawn look good with some TLC and landscaping. We no longer have the ugly lawn on the block - Wahoo!

Here's the planter he built Saturday - minus the rose bushes we plan to purchase and plant.


He also dug out a walkway that he's going to fill with "beloved" Oakley stone. It's gonna look great. (Pictures to follow for sure.) Yes, that's him in the background.

Here he is planting seeds and plants in the new B.A.G.

The B.A.G. = the BIG ASS GARDEN!!

Look at that thing. That's not a garden - that's a football field! If anyone is in need of corn, beans, radishes, zucchini, squash, cucumbers, white onions, red onions, red peppers or Roma tomatoes - come on over! I think we might be feeding the neighborhood.

About mid-afternoon, this black thing rolled in - and sat there - threatening and taunting us.

It finally started pouring rain, and then threw in some lightening and thunder for show. Good thing Kade was pooped and inside for a break.

What did I do? I stained our new hand-me-down swing a beautiful Deep Walnut. I took a picture. But accidentally deleted it. So no pic - it's dark outside now.

But the following picture was my main objective of the day. It's been haunting me for six months. The junk room - which is supposed to be the office. It's a collection of unopened wedding gifts, boxes, and just random junk that gets thrown in there so it's "out of sight".

Here's the before pic:

And viola! The after pic:

Oops. I think it looks the same, doesn't it?! (I have no shame, I know.)

I got distracted with other projects like laundry, dishes, etc. AND Kade made me go to Wal-Mart for garden seed. WAL-MART on MEMORIAL DAY! You should have seen all the crazies in the garden center.

Besides, if I had cleaned out the Junk room I wouldn't have been able to produce this:



Kade worked hard all day - he needed a good dinner!

It's all about priorities people.

(I'm sure glad I can win Kade over with food!)

Hope y'all had a great Memorial Weekend.

And much love to the loved ones who aren't here to spend it with us. Miss you G&G W.

7 comments:

Sherrie said...

Strong work Kade!!! And I will take some of those tomatoes (you can't buy a decent tomatoe in the desert)!! Megan, well better luck what Labor day (that is the next 3 day weekend right??). Now miss megan i would appreciate it if you could update your blog more often, you know the only excitement I get is reading what everyone else is doing! :) love you!!

Megan said...

Um Miss Sherrie - I would appreciate it if YOU would start a blog! It's no fair that you can peak in on me and I can't do the same on you!

Marsha said...

All this talk about tomatoes..a BLT sounds wonderful. Hmm don't know about the taste yet? Yard work.. takes alot of work, you did good Kade.

Beth said...

BAG = BAW (Big Ass Weeds!), but so worth it. I'm with your mom. A great BLT with homemade tomatoes is the best! Howard has picked about 6 little ripe tomatoes from our plants he planted int he flower bed. They aren't big, but they are yummy!

Jerolyn said...

W.O.W that is a big garden. When we still lived there and were in our 1st house we had a big garden (not that big however) and we loved it. It is hard work but so rewarding to sit down and eat all the fresh stuff you grew yourself! I miss our raspberry bushes :(
Enjoy the fruits and veggies of your labor!!!

Jerolyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Korbi said...

that is one giant B.A.G. It's like 5 times the size of mine!