Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Destination: Backyard

So often people take for granted what's closest to them. Whether it be relationships or the beauty in your own backyard. How many times have you heard about New Yorkers that have never been to the Statue of Liberty? Well, I'm proud to say that here in Idaho, we don't have to travel thousands of miles to witness the hand of God. All we have to do is open our eyes, and take the time to appreciate the beauty that surrounds us. It those images that take stock in our hearts and memories forever.

A couple months ago, I asked Kade if he had been to Shoshone Falls, and to my surprise, he said no. WHAT?! I couldn't believe it. So I made it my mission to take him there. I have GREAT memories of Sunday drives with my family (and sometimes friends) to Shoshone. It's something I wanted to share with him.

So when Michael and Xela came down last weekend, I thought - the more the merrier! Let's all go! I planned to take along a picnic, but I'm glad we didn't - it was FLIPPIN' HOT!! We went down to Twin Sunday, after the Temple dedication, to soak in some sights.

{I hadn't been to the falls in quite some time. It's still amazing as I remember it to be. The water is even a little low.}

{Kade was pretty impressed, and to my delight said that we would definitely be going back when the weather cooled. I can't wait to make memories of our own there.}

{Mom, Michael and Xela on the opposite side of the falls overlooking the canyon. Dad was there too, but somehow managed to miss all the picture moments. Sneaky dog!}

The Snake River Canyon is pretty awesome. It was, you know, the Snake River Canyon and not the Grand Canyon that Evel Knievel chose to jump his rocket motorcycle over!

{This view is just off the Perrine Bridge - a couple miles down from Shoshone Falls.}

{I thought this was kinda a cool picture under the bridge. I had NEVER walked under the bridge (where a highway is directly above. Nor had I walked along the canyon walkway. What a view.}

{Viola - the Perrine Bridge. The bridge is the only man-made structure in the United States where Base Jumping is legal. It's pretty cool to watch those crazies leap off the side. Well, I guess they're not that crazy - I would totally do it!!}

I'm fascinated by bridges. I guess it's because I don't totally understand the physics of bridge construction. I know how they work, but I guess my mind has too many questions, and doesn't truly believe the logic! I mean, how do they withstand tons and tons of weight and wear for hundreds of years? And why is the bridge above arched on the bottom? How does it not just fold in half? Of all the places I've traveled, I always remember the cool bridges we cross or see. Call me weird. But I love bridges!

{There was a cute little waterfall near the golf course in the canyon that you could walk underneath. The breeze and drops of water felt so good! But that cute little waterfall was pretty powerful, I'd hate to have fallen underneath it! Watch the video below.}


{Kade says the waterfall would pulverize me - if you didn't hear him. Perhaps you were distracted by his green tongue! That was from our DQ stop! Oh, and sorry for the sideways view!}


Our Sunday drive to Twin was lots of fun. I felt kind of funny taking pictures of everything. I felt like a tourist! But why not take pictures? You know you're not a silly, annoying tourist, YOU ACTUALLY LIVE THERE! Yeah, well, everyone else thinks you're a tourist anyway, so just roll with it. Just don't wear a Hawaiian shirt, and knee socks with sandals.

1 comment:

jeff and char said...

how fun, i need to take my kids there you forget all the cool stuff we have so close!