Sunday, May 10, 2009

Not yet a Mother

All the sudden my little baby ticker to the left has dwindled down to double digits!

In 95ish days, I will become a mother.

Yesterday being Mother's Day certainly cemented the idea into my brain.

Me. A Mother?

Yesterday isn't the first time I've pondered the idea. How on earth can I match the motherhood skills of a certain someone named Marsha? Because it's obvious to any living thing on the planet, that my mom has got the whole mama thing down pat.


{My beautiful Momma and me on my first day of kindergarten. I actually remember this day perfectly.}

How did my mom know how to be a good mom?

Well, Mom had a great mother too, who taught her all the things she’s teaching me.

I'm grateful my Grandma Whittle. No wonder my mom turned out so wonderful! Grandma Whittle was the essence of love. As a young child, whenever I wanted to trade my mom for someone else, it was always Grandma Whittle. (Sorry Mom - I wasn't always grateful!)

I also give thanks for my mom's sisters - Lynne, Elaine and Boni. They have all taught me just a little about being a mom. I love them all dearly.

{Aunt Elaine, Aunt Lynne, Aunt Boni, Mom and Grandma Whittle. (Don't mind the cowboy! He's just the lucky brother. ;-) }

I'm indeed grateful for my paternal grandmother as well. Grandma Bowen's launch into motherhood wasn't easy. After losing her husband while pregnant with her second child, Grandma did what she had to. She didn't wallow in self pity. She got to work and provided for her children the best way she knew how. It wasn't easy, but she managed to raise two great children. Hello - look at my dad. I think he turned out pretty awesome.

{Grandma Bowen, Kade and me at the cabin.}


I’m comforted to know that every daughter contains her mother, and all the women who came before her. Isn’t awesome that a mother’s influence will be felt for generations to come?

So here's to 95ish days! I can't wait to be a mom.

I think I've convinced myself that I'm gonna do an OK job. All I have to do is follow the examples that have been set before me.

Besides, isn't motherly love, loving your baby boy, even though he kicks the crud out of your insides? I hope so. ;-)


3 comments:

Beth said...

Yes, loving them when they make you sick and sore from the kicks. Sarah had me so sore I felt I had been in a car wreck! 95 days. Man, you JUST told us you were preggers! Amazing.

Marsha said...

I can't believe how blessed I am to have you as a daughter. You give me too much credit, I think you were blessed with an amazing spirit. You can't believe how many times I wished for a instruction book. Still do sometimes, mothers continue to grow. (hopefully) Motherhood brings the most amazing joy and yet unbearable pain at times. Having Grandmas, Aunties, sisters, and great extended family and friends are all huge blessings. Enjoy every moment of being pregnant, each one is unique. Once your beautiful son is born your life will never be the same again. I know you will be an incredible mom. I can't wait!

Jackson & Trish Whitehurst said...

You are going to be an incredible MOTHER!!! I love reading your posts, you are such a talented writer!