Monday, July 14, 2008

Cow · Boy

It's not a secret that when I was a little girl - or young adult (blah, blah, blah) I thought I would end up marrying a cowboy. You know the kind that rides horses, wears a cowboy hat and spends way too much money on their horses, tack, and roping entry fees. A yarn thrower*.

Well...good thing we don't always get what we THINK we want.

I did marry a cowboy of sorts. He's raised cattle all his life, and his family does own horses. But he ropes cows from the ground, and rounds them up with a 4-wheeler instead of a horse.

A cowboy.

So, I was kind of surprised by the stress that enveloped Kade's head when we started dating.

He was so afraid that my dad wouldn't like him because he wasn't a "roper." That and because a mutual friend (Carnell!) told Kade the same thing - to scare the crap out of him.

He was kidding!

Kade didn't get the joke memo. But he FINALLY got over the fact that my dad didn't hate him because he didn't rope (for money in competitions).

I thought everyone had moved on.

Then I see this in my parent's backyard!

AND - Kade has been joining FHE at the Hogg arena on Monday nights. ON A HORSE! (Sorry, no horse riding pics yet. But they will come, I'm sure!) Kade actually knows how to ride a horse. I just like to give him crap - cause I can. And because he's SO fun to tease.

He does know how to lead a horse to water. But can he make him drink?

That's the next challenge!! Read: rope from a horse in an arena with some speed.

I've come to terms that Kade would rather throw a football than a loop. Maybe that's why he throws a loop like he's throwing a ball.

I kid!!

You're getting better Kade. You are!
One day you'll win the best out of 5 competitions I always win! ;-)


It just makes me smile to see my two favorite men spending time together.


Besides, I would take football obsessed Kade over ANY yarn thrower any day of the week.

Whether or not Kade is actually enjoying his roping lessons, (or if he's doing it just to humor my dad and I) I appreciate the fact that he's taking interest in something my family enjoys. It shows that he really loves ME! Even though I couldn't explain my way out of a football play book.

*Yarn Thrower: The term given to well-dressed rodeo cowboys that calf rope.

8 comments:

Beth said...

You write SUCH good postings! I check EVERY day and am disappointed when there's not a new one. Your writing is just so good. Gee, you could do that for a living...oh, wait, you HAVE. Good thing. Real talent there, for whatever my opinion matters!

Megan said...

Thanks Beth. I appreciate your kind words. Too bad writing blogs doesn't pay the bills!

Beth said...

Well, in my case, I'm glad it doesn't! I'd be in big trouble. See you this weekend!

Jerolyn said...

I wish it did pay the bills...I'd post about everything.

Jerolyn said...

Hey just wanted to tell you something cute that just happened. I was sitting here checking blogs when the phone rang so I got up to answer the phone and when I got back Ellie was sitting in the computer chair ALL EXCITED. Somehow she had clicked on over to your blog and was pointing at your wedding photo at the top saying "look mom~BEAUTY, it's Beauty. Beauty!"

There you have it~from the mouth of babes! haha

Jerolyn said...

P.S. I hope that doesn't mean Kade's the Beast! haha

Jerolyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Megan said...

Ha, ha! You took the word (beast) right out of my mouth! Tell Ellie thanks for making me smile.